Homeowners want to do everything possible to keep their house and land safe from robbery, and windows are some of the weakest points of entry for a potential thief. Shattered windows can turn out to be noisy and dangerous, which is why if a burglar has a chance, they will certainly try other points of entrance. However, there are some effective ways through which homeowners can protect their homes from burglary with improved security windows. Listed below are some of the features that homeowners should be aware of:
Styles of Secure Windows
Homeowners need to understand the varying types of window security. There are windows that will keep out intruders, and there are other windows that offer better protection than others. It is important to understand the different types of window companies in Toronto and their features so that homeowners can make an informed decision. Best security windows for a home can be selected after performing due diligence with the factor of time and budget in mind. Some of the types of secure windows that are available include:
- Metallic Security Windows: These windows are engineered in such a manner that they offer maximum protection against forced entry. They meet and exceed all international standards for burglar resistance. The window panes are securely held together with a stainless steel framework. The design is customized according to the specifications of each customer.
- Burglary-resistant Glass windows: This type of glass has a multi-layered thickness with one or more layers containing fine wires that are designed to resist, deter, or delay potential burglars.
- Segmented security windows: These windows are usually preferred by corporate houses because they provide the necessary defense against break-ins. The best security windows are usually selected after an analysis of the risks and threats to a property from intruders.
- Bulletproof Windows: Windows that are made of bulletproof glass is capable of withstanding bullets from short-range firearms, which is why they are mostly chosen for protection at government buildings.
- Break-resistant glass windows: These windows are strong enough to break under the forced entry, usually by burglars. They are made of thick glass panes with additional reinforcement designed to prevent them from breaking away completely when broken.
Improved Frame Materials
Another important factor that homeowners should consider is the frame material of windows. The four-chambered frames are usually preferred because they make the windows stronger and more resilient against break-ins. Wrought iron is another commonly used material for window security because it does not shatter easily, but offers durability, strength, and resistance to forced entry.
Glasses For Privacy and Security
Homeowners should also look for windows that offer privacy as well as security. Best security windows should be selected to improve protection against break-ins and at the same time maintain privacy. Most burglar bars come with an additional glass coating such as laminated, wire glass, or reflective glass. This feature ensures improved privacy and increased security. Laminated glass is made of two layers of glass that are bonded together with an interlayer. The best quality laminated glazing not only offers added protection but can also provide increased energy efficiency and improved sound insulation. Wire glass is made up of thin strands of metal or other conductive materials that are embedded in the inner surfaces of both panes.
More Durable Glazing
The best security windows are usually made of durable glazing. Some of them can even resist bullets, which is why they are mostly preferred for government buildings and systems. Durable glazing ensures long-term performance, optimum protection against break-ins, and fewer maintenance costs in the future. Glass is vulnerable. It is very easy to break, and when it does break, the pieces are sharp. Security windows should be selected for maximum protection against burglary, but buyers need to consider other factors as well. For example, the durability of glass plays an important role in determining how long a window lasts.
Window Bars or Locks
Security bars can provide added protection against forced entry. They are usually designed to be mounted on the inside of the window frame and prevent burglars from breaking or removing glass panes. Best quality bars come with polycarbonate tops that help to protect the glass panes. Aluminum alloy is usually used for making window locks because it does not bend, rust, or corrode. It also provides strength and durability, even in severe weather conditions. Most companies offer comprehensive warranties on self-locking windows because they are designed for optimum protection against break-ins.
Sensors and Contacts
The best security windows from reputed companies are also equipped with sensors that can detect movement and warning lights. If movement is detected, the lights turn on to scare away intruders. A security system usually consists of a PIN pad for access control, warning lights with alarm sensors, and alarm horns. Better quality windows offer added protection through double locking systems that include both electronic locks and manual locks.
Some Tips to Secure Your Home
You don’t need to spend any money or time to make your house more secure; all you need is a few minutes of your time. Here are some tips to secure your home:
- Always keep doors and windows closed and locked to prevent forced entry.
- Ensure that all sliding glass doors are equipped with locks, deadbolts, or locking mechanisms. Sliding glass doors often provide easy access to burglars because they slide open easily.
- Remove any areas of concealment or blind spots.
- Store your valuables in a safe place.
- Install alarms and sensors on all doors and windows.
- Use deadbolt locks instead of standard keyed locks.
- Ensure that all family members know how to use the alarm system, sensors, warning lights, and alarm horns.
- Take pictures or a video inventory of your home’s contents for insurance purposes.
- Maintain all security features regularly.