If you’re looking to add an outdoor deck to your home, you have a lot of different options to choose from. There are many different types of decks, each with its own unique set of benefits and drawbacks.
At Brewer Built LLC we have experience constructing all sorts of different decks, and we can help you choose the right one for your home.
In this blog post, we will take a look at 9 different types of decks and discuss the pros and cons of each one. After reading this post, you should be able to choose the right type of deck for your home!
1. Traditional Platform Deck
Traditional platform decks are the most popular type of deck and are made of wood. They are usually octagonal or square in shape and have a flat surface. They are easy to build and can be built on any level of the house. The platforms for these decks are generally made out of pressure-treated lumber, which is why they are so popular.
• This type of wood is resistant to rot and insect damage, making it a durable option for a deck.
• Pressure-treated lumber is relatively inexpensive.
• This type of wood is not as strong as some other options, such as cedar or redwood, and it can splinter and warp over time.
• Pressure-treated lumber also contains chemicals that can be harmful to your health if you are exposed to them for too long. If you choose to use pressure-treated lumber for your deck, be sure to wear gloves and a mask when handling it to avoid contact with the chemicals.
Best For: Traditional platform decks are a good option if you want an easy-to-build deck that is also affordable. Just keep in mind that it may not be as durable as some other materials and it can contain harmful chemicals.
2. Raised Deck
A raised deck is a platform that is built above the ground, typically supported by posts or stilts. It is usually made from wood or composite materials and is often used as an extension of the indoor living space. A raised deck can provide a great spot for entertaining guests or relaxing in outdoors.
• It can be customized to suit any need or preference. For example, a raised deck can be built with multiple levels, making it possible to include features such as stairs, railings, and storage beneath the deck. Additionally, a raised deck can be outfitted with furniture, lighting, and other accessories to create a truly unique outdoor living space.
• A raised deck can be more expensive to build than a traditional ground-level deck.
• Raised decks may require more maintenance than ground-level decks, as they are more exposed to the elements.
Best For: Raised decks are a great option if you want to create a unique outdoor living space. They are often used as outdoor entertaining areas, and they can provide a great space for parties, barbecues, and other events
3. Floating Deck
A floating deck is a type of deck that is not attached to a building or other structure. The deck is “floating” because it is supported by posts that are set into the ground instead of being attached to the house. This means that the deck can be built anywhere – even in areas that are not level. Floating decks are usually lower to the ground than traditional decks, and they are often built in smaller spaces.
• A floating deck is that it can be adapted to any space. If you have a small yard, you can still build a floating deck that will give you extra space for entertaining or relaxing.
• They are easier to build than traditional decks because they do not require as much support.
• Floating decks can be more prone to sagging over time if they are not built correctly. To avoid this, make sure that the posts are set in concrete and that the deck is well-supported.
• More susceptible to damage from wind and rain than a traditional deck. If you live in an area with severe weather conditions, you may want to consider another type of deck construction.
Best For: Floating decks are a great option if you have a small yard or want to build a deck in an irregular space. They are also easier to build than traditional decks, making them a good option for do-it-yourselfers.
4. Covered Deck
A covered deck is a type of deck that has a roof or other type of cover. This can be anything from a simple awning to a full-fledged roof. Covered decks can be built with any material, but they are typically made from wood or composite materials.
• A covered deck can extend the usable space of your home by creating an outdoor living area that can be used year-round.
• A covered deck can also protect you and your furniture from the sun, rain, snow, and other weather conditions.
• Covered decks can be more expensive to build than traditional decks because they require more materials and labor.
• They also require more maintenance, as the roof or other type of cover will need to be cleaned and repaired from time to time.
Best For: Covered decks are a great option if you want to create an outdoor living space that can be used year-round. They are also a good choice if you live in an area with severe weather conditions.
5. Cantilevered Decks
Cantilevered decks are a type of deck that extends beyond the edge of the house or building. They are often cantilevered, meaning they are supported at one end by the house and at the other end by posts. This allows for a raised area that is not attached to the house, which can be helpful if you want to create an outdoor living space that is separate from your house. Cantilevered decks can be tricky to build, but they are well worth the effort.
• They are very stable and can support a lot of weight. They also allow for more light and air to circulate underneath, which can help to keep the area cooler in the summer months.
• They require more maintenance than regular decks, as the nails and posts can loosen over time.
• They also tend to be more expensive to build. Overall, though, cantilevered decks offer a unique and helpful way to extend your outdoor living space.
Best For: Cantilevered decks are best suited for houses with a strong foundation and ledged ceilings, as they can be quite heavy.
6. Rooftop Decks
A rooftop deck is a platform, usually constructed on the roof of a building, that provides unobstructed views and an open-air environment. Rooftop decks are typically made of wood or composite materials and can be either covered or uncovered. They are often used as outdoor living spaces, for entertaining or relaxing. Rooftop decks can be found in a variety of locations, from high-rise apartments to private homes.
Rooftop decks are usually built with the help of a professional contractor. The structure of the deck must be able to support the weight of furniture, people, and any potential snow or rainfall. The deck should also be designed to avoid any leaking or water damage to the building below. Once the deck is completed, it can be decorated with furniture, plants, and other outdoor accessories.
• Rooftop decks offer unobstructed views and can be a great place to enjoy the outdoors. They are also relatively easy to maintain and can add value to your home.
• Rooftop decks can be expensive to build, and they require regular maintenance to avoid any water damage.
• They are also not suitable for everyone, as some people may not feel comfortable being so high up off the ground.
Best For: Rooftop decks are best suited for locations with mild weather conditions. They can be exposed to strong winds and harsh sunlight, which can make them uncomfortable to use during certain times of the year.
7. Wraparound Deck
A Wraparound Deck is a type of deck that is built around the perimeter of a house. It typically has two levels, with the lower level being attached to the house and the upper level being freestanding. Wraparound Decks can be constructed using various materials, including wood, composite, and PVC. They are typically built using pressure-treated lumber for the frame and decking boards for the flooring. The most common type of wood used for Wraparound Decks is cedar because it is naturally resistant to rot and decay. Composite materials are also a popular choice because they require less maintenance than wood and come in a variety of colors and styles. PVC decks are the least popular option because they are the most expensive and have the shortest lifespan.
• A lot of space can be utilized with a wraparound deck and they can provide multiple multiple functions such as outdoor dining, lounging, and entertaining.
If not built correctly, water can pool on the surface and cause the wood to rot or the composite material to warp. It is important to make sure that the deck is properly sloped to avoid this issue. In order for the deck to look its best, it needs to be stained or sealed on a regular basis. This can be a time-consuming and expensive process.
Best For: Wraparound Decks are best suited for homes that have a lot of outdoor space. They provide a large area for entertaining and relaxing, and they can be customized to include features such as built-in seating, storage, and railing systems
8. Entryway Deck
An entryway deck is a helpful way to gain access to your home without having to contend with stairs. Entryway decks typically have a ramp leading up to them, making them ideal for those who have difficulty using stairs or who use a wheelchair. They are also helpful for those who want to avoid getting their shoes wet or dirty when they enter their home
Entryway decks are a great way to make a first impression on visitors to your home. They are typically located at the front door and provide a space for people to wait before entering the house. Most entryway decks are made of wood, although some may also be made of composite materials. The deck should be wide enough to comfortably accommodate two people, and it should have a railing around the perimeter for safety. It is also important to choose a decking material that is durable and easy to maintain. Some entryway decks also have built-in storage for shoes and other items.
• It provides a space for people to wait before entering the house. This can be helpful if you want to prevent dirt and mud from being tracked into the house.
• Entryway decks can also be used as a place to store shoes and other items. However,
• It can be difficult to keep clean. dirt and leaves can accumulate on the deck, and it can be tough to reach the areas underneath the deck.
Best For: Entryway decks are best suited for homes that do not have a lot of space. They can be used as an alternative to stairs, and they provide a place for people to wait before entering the house.
9. Porch Deck
A porch deck is a great addition to any home. It can provide a place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, while also protecting your home from the elements. Porch decks are typically made of wood, and they are often enclosed with screens or railings. Some porches also have roofs, to provide additional protection from the sun or rain.
Porch decks can be attached to the front of your home, or they can be built as separate structures. They are typically located in the front yard, but they can also be placed in the back yard or on the side of your home.
• They can add value to your home and provide a wonderful outdoor living space
• Expensiveness and they can be a lot of work to maintain.
Best For: Porch decks can be built on any level of your home, from the ground up, and they are best suited for homes with ample yard space.
So, What Type of Outdoor Deck Is Best for Your Home?
There are a variety of outdoor decks to choose from, and the best one for your home will depend on your needs and preferences. Consider the size of your yard, the climate in your area, and how you plan to use the deck before making a decision. Once you have decided on the type of deck you want, be sure to hire a qualified contractor to help you build it. With a little planning and effort, you can have the perfect outdoor deck for your home.
Why Choose Brewer Built, LLC As Your Outdoor Decking Contractor?
When it comes to choosing an outdoor decking contractor, you want to make sure you’re getting the best possible service. That’s why you should consider Brewer Built, LLC. We’ve been in the business for over 25 years and have the experience and expertise to get the job done right. We use quality materials and our work is guaranteed.
So if you’re ever unhappy with our work, just give us a call at (952) 564 1877 and we’ll be happy to make things right. And because we’re a local business, we’re always just a phone call away. So if you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We’re here to help you live your outdoor dreams.